Frequently asked Quabbin fishing questions
1. What are the engine size restrictions ?
Engine size is limited to 20 horsepower for two stroke engines and 25 for four strokes.
2. Where can I rent a boat ?
Boats can be rented at Gate 8 (Pelham MA on Rte 202), Gate 43 (Hardwick, off Rte 32a) and Gate 31(Rte 122 east off Rte 202.) A fishing license is required. A one-day license can be purchased at boat rental areas. Get there early on holidays and on weekends in the spring. You can't call ahead and reserve a boat.
3. Can I launch my private boat at the Quabbin and just use the trolling motor in my big motor is bigger than what's allowed ?
Yes, but you must remove the prop. It will cost you $4 to park and $2 dollars per person to launch (a real bargain.)
4. Can I sail or canoe on the Quabbin ?
5. Where are the best places to fish ?
I'm still researching.
6. Do I "guide" on the Quabbin ?
No. I could but then I'd have to kill you afterwards.
7. Did you really catch all those fish, or is it the same fish taken in different locations with you wearing different clothes ?
8. Yes, no.
Other things you should know.
Swimming or wading is prohibited. Trespassing on islands is prohibited. Prescott Peninsula is off limits. Beaching a boat is not allowed except in an emergency. There are "porta potties" at a few locations. Alcohol is not allowed. There are many shallow spots ! Don't go flying around at full throttle or you'll find one. It's frequently windy (especially at Gate 8.)
BACK to fishing